Once upon a time, I was the fettuccine alfredo master.
At the ripe ol’ age of 12, I came across a recipe in an old church cookbook of my mother’s and I decided to conquer it.
And ooooooooh, it was good. SO much butter, milk, and parmesan cheese. For years, it was a favorite comfort meal of mine.
But when we know better, we do better, and now I know.
We hadn’t had any sort of alfredo sauce in years since leaving animal products behind for the sake of our health. And I have to say… I was missing this dish.. .
So I decided to find a way to have it once again- this time a nourishing version that could keep my family healthy for years to come.
It still has the rich, creamy flavor and texture, so we don’t even realize it’s lacking in anything we once used. This has quickly become a family favorite and we hope you find it just as satisfying!
- 1 bag pasta of choice (gluten-free if need be- we use rice pasta)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 cup cashews
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 container white button mushrooms, washed and chopped
- 1 bag frozen peas
- 1 large tomato, washed and sliced thin
- 1 small handful fresh basil, washed and chopped
- Cook pasta according to directions on package
- In high-speed blender, add garlic and blend on high until pureed
- In high-speed blender, add cashews with just enough water to cover and blend on high until smooth
- Add water little by little until you achieve your desired consistency for the sauce
- (If you do not have a high-speed blender, such as a Blendtec, you will need to soak the cashews with just enough water to cover for about 4-6 hours to soften them. You will then blend with no additional water unless needed.)
- When pasta is done, drain and mix in sauce
- Add Himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- FOR MUSHROOM AND PEAS:
- Saute mushrooms on stove top
- Add peas to mushrooms to warm
- Mix peas and mushrooms with pasta and sauce
- FOR TOMATO BASIL:
- Roast tomato slices in oven at 375 until bubbly
- Mix tomatoes and basil with pasta and sauce
Spread the love and save this image to Pinterest?