I think I’ve eaten
fat food, I mean fast food twice in the past year. And it was on the way to and back from a trip we took. We had healthier options with us in the car, but it was just my husband and me and, well, that silly cow painting a billboard convincing us to eat more chicken just did us in. Cows can be so convincing, can’t they?
I don’t say to brag about not often eating what so many eat regularly and I don’t say this to confess a side-step away from any particular way of eating we subscribe to, but rather I say this because I want you to KNOW that I understand how hard it is to provide healthy meals when time is tight and those restaurants surround us. I KNOW that you want better options, but money and time permit. I KNOW that you want something that tastes better and sticks to your ribs longer than just a fried sandwich and fried potatoes.
Well, friends, check this out. This is our go-to recipe for evenings when we just need something that will cook quickly and satisfy us for hours. Evenings when we could definitely have sought out something less than healthy and more than our budget could handle. but just didn’t want to make that sacrifice.
It’s warm, comforting, sweet, & spicy.
And guess what else?
So quick and easy! Seriously, if you can chop an onion, you can make this dinner. No special skills required.
Is your mouth watering yet?
Then check out our favorite recipe for:
Quick-and-Easy Southwestern Chili!
- 1 organic white onion
- 1 quart of organic low-sodium veggie broth
- 1 jar organic salsa
- 1 bag organic sweet corn
- 1-2 cans organic black beans (or black eyed peas)
- 1 T organic coconut sugar
- 1 T organic cumin
- ½-1 T organic chili powder
- 1 lime, juiced
- toppings as desired: avocado, cilantro, lime slices, tortilla chips
- cooked brown rice to serve over if desired
- Chop onion
- In large pot, saute onion on medium-high until translucent
- Add broth, salsa, corn, and beans and let simmer, covered, on low for 10 minutes
- Add spices, sugar, and lime juice and mix well
- Serve warm (over rice if desired) topped with avocado, cilantro, lime, and tortilla chips
Told you it was easy!
Try it tonight!
Spread the love and save this image to Pinterest?